Wednesday, March 24, 2010

NUHW book: Labor's Civil War In California: The NUHW Healthcare Workers’ Rebellion.

I haven't written a book review or report since 6th grade, and the last book I read was Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickeled & Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America, and that was 6 years ago. Also, when I first started writting on this blog I thought I'd be preaching to the choir here in Sonoma County, so it came as quite a pleasant surprise when Cal WInslow asked me to review his book. That said, here's my take on Cal's book Labor's Civil War In California: The NUHW Healthcare Workers’ Rebellion.

Cal's book details SEIU's view of it's members. I never knew how cold and mechanical SEIU was when it came to dealing with dues units, err, I mean members, nor was I aware of their "victory at any cost" approach to fighting with NUHW...I just thought they were sore losers! The more I read, the more outraged I became. I am convinced that, given the choice between the right way and the wrong way to do something, SEIU will pick the wrong way as it fights it's foes while losing the support of elected leaders, academics, workers, popular opinion, et cetera in its pursuit of what it believes it best for itself (and spend freely doing so) Contrast this to NUHW, which with the backing of a dedicated groups of volunteers, future members and all those that SEIU has cast aside will take the high road, organize and build coalitions, and wins elections.

This book is a great read. For me I learned the most from the first 3 chapters, chapter 4 is about the time I was aware of what was going on. I hope Cal writes another book because this is just the beginning of the end for SEIU. I recommend it to anyone who would like a summary of the dispute from a perspective of  someone who has nothing to gain or lose from the rise or fall of NUHW or SEIU. Plus for $12 it's a steal!

1 comment:

  1. This book is revealing, hard hitting, and to the point. It is a must read for those supporting today's union movement, especially those in the health care industry.

    Bravo to Cal Winslow's outstanding book.

    ReplyDelete